Sunday, September 8, 2013

Letter from Congressman Ruiz regarding Bees

Dear Mr. Morgan:

Thank you for contacting my office. The opportunity to discuss critical issues with the people I serve is an essential part of our democratic process and I am grateful for your input.

The Saving America’s Pollinators Act of 2013, H.R. 2692, was introduced on July 16, 2013 by Rep. John Conyers Jr., and has been referred to the House Agriculture Committee. The bill would ban the use of nitrogen-based neonicotinoid insecticides, pending an evaluation by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator on the adverse effects of the insecticide on pollinators including bees, birds, bats, and other species of beneficial insects.

I voted in support of an amendment similar to this legislation during the recent Farm Bill reauthorization, which directed the Secretary of the Department of Agriculture to carry out activities to protect the long-term viability of bees and other pollinators. While I am not on the Agriculture Committee, I will keep your thoughts and opinions in mind if this legislation comes to the House floor for a vote. Growing up in the Coachella Valley as the son of farmworker parents, I appreciate the important role agriculture plays in our district. From our famous dates to our traditional Native American tribal farming, protecting these assets is vitally important.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions with me. As the Representative of California’s 36th District, serving my constituents is my top priority. To find more information regarding current legislation, constituent services, or to sign up for my e-newsletter, please visit my website at: www.ruiz.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Raul Ruiz, M.D.
Member of Congress

No comments: